Patrons of the Regent in Christchurch will be relieved to hear that the work on the new lavatories has been completed following a 12 day closure. In addition, the foyer coffee bar has had a full makeover.
Flushed with the success of the renovations, the management is aiming high and the new loos at the Regent promise to be the best in Christchurch. Interestingly, when the Regent was built in 1931, indoor toilets were a rarity with many houses only having an outdoor privy to retreat to, so once again the Regent, as the leading public building in Christchurch, will be boasting the latest in WC comfort and technology for the benefit of all its patrons.
The number of cubicles in the ladies has doubled from three to six; there are additional facilities in the men’s toilets and improved access for the disabled toilet.
The project has cost around £100,000 including the 12 day closure. It has been financed from the Regent Development Fund, which is derived from ticket sales for shows, concerts and films. Fifty pence from every ticket sold at the Regent goes towards the Regent Development Fund to improve facilities for the community. In addition generous donations from the general public, a £2,500 donation from the Bournemouth Airport Community Fund and a £200 donation from the Twynham Forest Group of Women’s Institutes have also been used to help fund the new toilets and foyer coffee bar.
Regent Centre Manager, Greg Rawlings welcomed the opening of the new toilets: “It’s been worth every penny to have these new toilets up and running for our patrons. Their comfort and enjoyment is of paramount importance to all of us here at the Regent. All of our hard work is certainly paying off, because we have just heard that we have been awarded the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for achieving consistently outstanding reviews from visitors to the Regent.”
The Regent cinema, theatre and arts centre that has faithfully served the entertainment needs of Christchurch and the surrounding area since it opened as the town’s cinema on Boxing Day 1931, will continue with its exciting rolling programme of redecoration, repairs and refurbishment as part of the constant policy of improvement at the Centre.