A man who drove at a group of people enjoying a night out in Bournemouth town centre has been jailed for 13 years.
Dean James Cambage, 33, was sentenced today, (23 September), at Bournemouth Crown Court after pleading guilty at the same court on 30 June to dangerous driving, attempted grievous bodily harm with intent and one count of grievous bodily harm.
He was jailed for a total of 13 years and told he would have to serve a minimum of eight years before being considered for parole.
The court heard how Cambage, of Bournemouth, was drinking in The Winchester nightclub on Poole Hill in the early hours of Sunday 24 August 2014 when he got into a dispute with staff over a glass of wine that his friend wanted to exchange for a beer.
Cambage left the club, got into a grey BMW and deliberately drove at two people who were standing outside.
One male member of staff sustained cuts to his face which required stitches and a broken left wrist.
A woman, who was walking past the club at the time, was left badly bruised following the attack.
The car Cambage was driving was found abandoned at 4.55am the same day on East Overcliff.
The court heard the vehicle had been stolen on 4 August 2014 from an address in Sunbury on Thames in Surrey.
After the incident, Cambage fled the area and his disappearance sparked a major manhunt involving arrest enquiries in Dorset and London and appeals in the media and on BBC Crimewatch.
The court heard that Cambage was arrested in London on 26 February 2015.
Detective Constable Will Burnett, of Bournemouth CID, said: “This was a terrifying incident which was sparked by a dispute over a drink.
“Dean Cambage’s actions that night were extremely reckless and dangerous.
“The fact that Cambage’s victims were not more seriously injured is nothing less than miraculous.
“Bournemouth welcomes thousands of people each weekend who visit the town to enjoy its vibrant club and bar scene. Incidents like these will not be tolerated.
“Dorset Police’s licensing department, working in partnership with Bournemouth Borough Council, is committed to maintaining a safe environment for this community. We will relentlessly track down and bring to justice those who seek to disrupt Bournemouth’s nightlife.”