A man miraculously escaped serious injury when he was thrown to the ground after a firework exploded in his pocket in Wimborne.
He had joined other revellers in the town centre on New Year’s Eve when the lit firework flew through the air in the Square before landing in his coat.
The 27 year-old victim, from Poole, suffered burns to his leg and hand and his jacket was ruined but the consequences of the blast could have been much worse.
A large crowd had gathered in Wimborne just before midnight to see in the New Year.
Police Constable Nina Doyle, of Ferndown police, said: “It is nothing short of a miracle that no one was seriously hurt as a result of this act of sheer stupidity.
“There was a large crowd of people in Wimborne enjoying the New Year celebrations and I am hopeful that someone might have seen the incident and can help me identify the offender.”
Call Dorset Police in confidence on 101 quoting incident number 1:06. Alternatively, call the free and anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111 where mobile phone tariffs may apply.