Residents on one new Boscombe development are looking forward to spending their first Christmas in the homes they thought they could never afford.
The first residents have now moved into the new Gladstone Mews development of 11 affordable eco homes.
In an innovative deal, Bournemouth 2026 Trust owns the freehold of the properties with residents buying an affordable share of the leasehold to help get them on the property ladder.
With the houses remaining in the trust of Bournemouth 2026 Trust it means these 11 properties will remain within the price reach of local people.
First time buyers Dominic Brancaleone, 30, and his fiancé Alicia Bramwell, 22, say the project has made buying their first home together a “dream come true.”
Content editor Dominic said: “Without Bournemouth 2026 and the Gladstone Mews project, my fiancé and I wouldn’t have been able to consider buying our own property for at least another year or more. And even then, we wouldn’t have had all the benefits of an energy efficient new-build property and all the other additional extras that came with our new home.
“Boscombe is full of character and has lots to offer local residents. We enjoy the community spirit and creative culture, and it means so much to us to own a property that’s close to the beach, local amenities and family.
“We’re thrilled to be in our first home together for Christmas. It’s something we’ve been working towards for over a year, but we never expected it to happen so soon – and it’s all thanks to the affordability of the scheme. It really is a dream come true.”
The Gladstone Mews development was completed earlier this year and the 11 homes were put on the market in the summer.
They comprise of a two-bedroom wheelchair accessible bungalow, a three-bedroom detached house and nine two-bedroom terraced homes.
A range of sustainable measures are included to ensure the upkeep of the homes is affordable too.
Each home has solar PV panels, water butts to help save on tap water and excellent insulation and efficient boilers to help keep heating bills down.
The homes have also all been installed with fire sprinkler systems.
And as well as having their own gardens residents will also share a communal allotment and orchard.
Bournemouth 2026 Trustee, Cllr Jane Kelly, said: “It’s been a real privilege to hand over the keys of these fabulous new homes to this group of local first time buyers.
“Every single one of them is from the Boscombe area or neighbouring wards. These residents have been able to buy homes that, without this kind of scheme, they would otherwise not have been able to afford.
“Bournemouth Borough Council gifted us the land on which these houses have been built so they could be held in trust and remain affordable for the people of Boscombe in perpetuity.
“We wish our new residents every happiness in their new homes and a very special first Christmas.”
The Gladstone Mews development is the first housing scheme taken on by Bournemouth 2026 in its role as a Community Land Trust (CLT).
These innovative trusts are not‐for‐profit community‐based organisations that develop housing, workspace or other assets to meet community need.
Any income generated from Gladstone Mews will be spent on the charitable purposes of Bournemouth 2026 Trust and the land (freehold) will remain with the CLT to ensure assets remain affordable for long‐term community benefit.
Initially people have been able to buy a 65% share of the house and pay an affordable rent to Bournemouth 2026 for the remaining 35% share.
There is an option for all home buyers to purchase up to 80% of the house.
All 11 properties, whose prices started at £117,000, have now been sold subject to contract.